Saturday, December 26, 2015

Web Authoring Tools

When I first learned to code, I had to use notepad. This assignment opened my eyes to the benefits of using a more advanced web authoring tool. The three tools I looked at were DreamWeaver, Kompozer, and Aptana.

I was unaware of these applications and the amazing benefits they provide. Before I looked at the tools, I wanted to make a list of assets that were most important to me Debugging/validity, cost, time, and template abilities were all important to me.

I found debugging to be the most important because I have wasted so much time looked for quotation mark that was left opened or a carrot that did not close. This feature will save me a lot of time and stress on my eyes.

I have an old version of DreamWeaver on my Mac from college. I've tried to use a few times, but it confused me. There are so many features and it made me really overwhelmed. I love Adobe programs, but they definitely take a while to master. After reading numerous blogs, it seems that this is definitely one of the best programs to use. After this course, I plan on digging deeper into this application.

After watching a video on Aptana, it really interested me. As I did my research, it offered a lot of the benefits I was looking for. However, once I downloaded the software I was really confused. It seemed like a lot to learn and I need to learn the basics first before jumping into a more complicated web authoring tool.

For this course, I decided to stay with Kompozer. Once I learn the basics, I will be better equipped to jump into different applications (like DreamWeaver and Aptana). Kompozer offered a lot of benefits like validity, free, and it is fairly easy to navigate. One thing that is hard for me - I am a design person and the functionality of this application feels outdated and I don't feel like I have a lot of control. I can draw my dream design on paper, but it was hard to bring the paper to life in Kompozer. This could be from my lack of experience with it, but I struggled a bit in the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment